HIGHWAY & FLOODPLAIN DIRECTOR
Highway & Floodplain Department, Bisbee
This is an Unclassified position not covered by the County Merit Rules and
Exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act
OPENS: Friday, March 17, 2017
AMENDED: April 20, 2017 (to remove in anticipation of a future vacancy)
CLOSES: Open Until Filled (May close at any time without prior notice)
SALARY: Depends on Qualifications, plus a competitive benefits package
PREFERENCE: Preference may be given applicants who possess or have the ability to obtain a current Civil Engineer registration in the State of Arizona within one year of hire.
TYPICAL DUTIES: (Illustrative only) Manages the field, engineering and administrative aspects of the Highway & Floodplain Department; responsible for the preparation and management of the budget and capital improvement program; assures that all projects (field, engineering and other) are being managed and documented consistently and thoroughly; responsible for preparation for and presentation at meetings with the Board of Supervisors, other entities, elected officials and other Departments; ensures that all County and departmental policies are being followed and assists in their preparation; prepares reports and presentations; directly supervises all functional areas and coordinates planning and projects with appropriate County departments. May be called upon to also act as County Engineer (if qualified) and/or Administrator over the Community Development Services functional group (Highway & Floodplain, Planning & Zoning, and Solid Waste Departments).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of:
- annual work plan and CIP preparation and management;
- principles and practices of management, supervision and public administration;
- principles and practices of the budgetary process;
- principles and practices of management and supervision;
- local, state and federal laws regarding roads and floodplains;
- effective written and verbal communication skills with elected officials and the public at large.
Considerable knowledge of:
- OSHA rules and regulations;
- Highway and floodplain operations;
- purchasing practices and bidding processes.
Good knowledge of:
- basic engineering standards and practices;
- project planning principles.
Good skill in:
- relating with the media;
- meeting deadlines;
- working cooperatively with public officials and private sector community leaders;
- compiling statistical information and preparing reports.
Considerable skill in:
- developing written procedures for various departmental functions;
- developing project schedules;
- overseeing and reviewing the compilation of statistical information and technical reports.
- follow written and verbal instruction;
- communicate effectively verbally and in writing;
- engage in collaborative solution creation with other Department Directors and County Management;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public;
- plan, assign, and direct the work of subordinates;
- adapt to flexible, changing, and diverse responsibilities.
HOW TO APPLY