Sheriff’s Office, Bisbee and Willcox
Higher level Detention Officer positions may be available depending on applicant experience
and departmental discretion
Detention Officer Employees also receive the following additional benefits:
Participation in Corrections Officer Retirement Plan (CORP)
(for additional information: http://www.psprs.com/corrections-officer/member/member-benefits)
OR Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) (if eligible)
Clothing allowance of $720 annually, paid in quarterly increments
OPENS: Thursday, June 15, 2017
CLOSES: Open Until Filled (may close at any time without prior notice)
STARTING SALARY: $32,000 annually, plus a competitive benefits package
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or GED; must be 18 years of age at the time of hire and able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States; must be able to report to work within 60 minutes of notification for official call-back action. Must obtain Certification as a Correctional/Detention Officer from an approved State of Arizona training facility within one (1) year of employment. Must successfully complete Cochise County Sheriff’s Department firearms qualification and inmate transport training during initial probation. Applicants must successfully complete: a criminal background check including no felony convictions, written test, psychometric test, polygraph, physical ability test, physical examination and mandatory pre-employment and random drug and alcohol testing are required; must obtain and maintain a valid Arizona driver’s license.
PLEASE NOTE: If you qualify for this position, the Sheriff’s Office will send you a notification for the testing process to the email address on your job application.
TYPICAL DUTIES: (Illustrative Only) Controls and supervises the movement and activities of inmates; maintains detention facility security; patrols assigned area for evidence of forbidden activities, infractions of rules and unsatisfactory attitude or adjustment of inmates; assists in processing inmate booking and releases; transports inmates to and from the detention facility, utilizing firearms, vehicles, and proper security measures; supervises visitation; maintains records and produces reports; performs routine clerical functions and data entry; guards and directs inmates during work assignments; conducts various types of inventories.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of:
- principles, practices, policies and procedures as they apply to a detention facility;
- principles, practices and procedures of physical security;
- human behavior and various social, economic and cultural backgrounds;
- principles, practices and procedures of law enforcement search, transporting and physical restraint.
Some knowledge of:
- court procedures and documentation;
- inmate classification system;
- legal terminology and legal procedures as they apply to a detention facility;
- report preparation and records maintenance.
Working skill in:
- the care and use of firearms, motor vehicles and other equipment utilized at a detention facility;
- supervising the activities of inmates.
- physically restrain inmates;
- deal impartially with inmates of various socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds;
- respond to emergencies or stressful situations calmly, quickly, and decisively;
- work rotating shifts, including weekends and holidays;
- establish and maintain effective working relationship with employees, other agencies, and the public;
- follow written and verbal instruction;
- communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- attend a six to eight week detention academy which requires the employee to live on campus Monday thru Friday.
You may apply on-line through our website (www.cochise.az.gov) or www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cochise. Applications must be submitted no later than 5 p.m. on the closing date of the announcement in order to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. The applicant must clearly demonstrate on the application that they meet the minimum qualifications for the position.